Enjoying a meal together is a great way to connect with your family.
Mealtime Tips and food Activity Ideas to try:
- Make your own food art and show kids that healthy foods can be beautiful and appetizing.
- Grow a family cosy garden. Get kids of all ages involved in meals with gardening. Start small, with a window herb box in your kitchen or a garden in your yard.
- Kids are more likely to try new foods when they take the lead. In this activity, kids pick a new food at the store, taste it, and rate it like a food critic.
- Remove distractions by turning off the TV and making a phone “parking spot” away from the table.
- Have everyone share what they did during the day. What made you laugh or what you did for fun?
- Try new foods at home. Kids need many opportunities to taste a new food to “get used to it.”
- Have adults and older kids talk about the color, feel, or flavor of foods. It’ll make them sound more appealing to younger kids that may be picky.
- On nice days, opt for a change of scenery. For example, go to a nearby park for a dinner picnic.